Special Report – The Santa Claus Rally Phenomenon

santa claus rally 2018

SPECIAL Report – The Santa Claus Rally phenomenon (26-11-2018)

 

It’s that time of year once more where we find out if we have been good boys and girls and if Santa Claus is on his way.  There are seasonal patterns in the markets and one of the strongest and most consistent has occurred at the end of the year and early into the New Year.  This is often referred to as the Santa Claus Rally or the Christmas Rally. One of the potential reasons for this phenomenon is the basis of the American tax year which runs the same as the calendar year (from the 1st of January to the 31st of December).  This is generally a strongly Bullish time of year for the US markets and as a consequence it’s also a strongly Bullish time of the year for the local Australian market. There are a lot of investment decisions based around the tax year by institutions, fund managers and the public at large leading into this time of year.  On top of this people like to make New Year resolutions and some of them will be based around what they would like to achieve from the market. Regardless of the reason why, it’s a phenomenon we need to look at in order to take advantage of ourselves.  It makes sense to focus on higher probability trades or investments and this provides an edge we can utilise.

 

For me, I am looking for a pattern which repeats often enough that will provide me an edge.  If we have a good idea where the market may be headed then we can wait till it sets up in such a way to allow us to jump on board.  Then we manage the trade no differently as any other, focusing on your risk and money management.  This being said, we only have reliable daily data from 1980, which means we only have a sample period of 38 years to work with.

 

In the charts below I have taken snapshots of each year for the period starting at the beginning of October through till mid-January to see if there is anything to this Santa Claus rally or not.  You will be able to make up your own mind if there is a regular consistent seasonal pattern or not.  To make the determination of this a little easier I have identified the main direction of the market over this time with a coloured box - Green for Bullish, Red for Bearish and Blue for sideways.  The other thing I should point out is that pre 2000 I have used the All Ordinaries (XAO) for my data as the ASX S&P 200 (XJO) has only been around since 2000.

 

Looking at the 38 years in question, we have 2 years which went sideways (1987 & 2008), another 4 years which went down (1981, 1990, 2007 & 2011), while the other 32 years went up. This provides us with an 84.2% chance that 2018 will see the market move up over this time from now till the first week of January.  This is what I would like to call an edge. Before we get too excited and bet the farm that the market is on a one way trip to the moon, there is still a 15.8% chance that we could be flat or down.  An 84.2% chance of the Santa Claus rally happening is a promising start, but we really need to dig a little deeper to get a better understanding of the structure of this phenomenon.  When does it start, when does it end, how long does it normally run for and by how much does it move?

 

Request the full complimentary report from Shane and find out how 2018 may turn out >>

 

Australian Market (XAO & XJO) Daily Line Charts – (1980 – 2015)

2018 11 29 17 26 26 Special Report The Santa Claus Rally Phenomenon

 

 

Share Market Technical Analysis

 

 

Disclaimer/Disclosure

This publication has been prepared solely for the information of the particular person to whom it was supplied by Phillip Capital Limited (“PhillipCapital”) AFSL 246827.  This publication contains general securities advice.  In preparing the advice, PhillipCapital has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.  Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation.  PhillipCapital and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication.  PhillipCapital believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by PhillipCapital or any of its directors, employees or agents.  This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.

 

About Shane Langham

+61 (7) 3338 3838 Email Profile

Shane has passionately followed the markets since the age of 16, and has been an adviser in the financial markets since the year 2000 having worked for a range of firms, including one of the world’s largest investment banks as well as smaller boutique broking firms. Shane is also a past Vice President of the Australian Technical Analysts Association (ATAA) Brisbane, a position he held for 6 years.

Shane is currently a Senior Private Wealth Adviser at Phillip Capital and can assist you with all of your stock market needs - whether you are looking to buy or sell shares, set up a portfolio, grow your SMSF, protect your portfolio, or trade the market. He specialises in technical analysis, risk management, and options trading and focuses predominantly on the Aussie markets.

Shane also writes two key market related technical analysis reports (including a free weekly Market Commentary Report), designed to give traders and investors the best chance possible to get the results they are after from the markets. To find out more about these reports please click here. http://www.phillipcapital.com.au/shane-langham

Shane lives on the sunny Gold Coast with his wife and two dogs. He loves chatting about the market with other like-minded people, so don’t be afraid to pick up the phone or send him an email.

Why Choose PhillipCapital?

Expert, Quality Advice

Professional, fully accredited and friendly advisors can help tailor the perfect solution to your needs.

Global Strength and Size

Established in Singapore in 1975, PhillipCapital operates across 16 countries, has over 1 million clients and manages over USD 28 billion assets under management and custody worldwide. You know your investments are safe with us.

Gateway to Americas, Asia and Europe

Expand your investment universe outside of Austraila and reach across the globe. PhillipCapital has access to exchanges across the world.

Speak to an Advisor

Phone Request a Callback:

Phone Toll Free: 1800 214 264

Phone International: +61 3 8633 9800

Website search

Search the PhillipCapital website here.

Request Callback

Fill in the below information and a PhillipCapital representative will call you back as soon as possible.